Thursday, March 20, 2008

SPI Update, 20 March

Only one significant upset on the first day of the tournament.

There were some nail-biters, but my bracket is nearly perfect after day one of play. Here's a rundown of the three misfires I had:

UNLV 71, Kent State 58. The SPI had this one right, actually. #41 UNLV rates 107.2224 compared to #43 Kent State's 106.7044. When the scores are that close, though, I look to the last ten games, and Kent State had a much higher scoring differential. I yielded, and I picked the upset. I paid for it, too.

Pittsburgh 82, Oral Roberts 63. Same problem here. #37 Pittsburgh rates 107.7219 to #39 Oral Roberts' 107.3852. That's even closer than the first matchup. Oral Roberts had nearly eight points higher in the scoring differential category, though, so I went with the big upset. Now I just have to hope Pitt doesn't go on a huge run. They shouldn't, though, since Michigan State (their next opponent) has an SPI of over 109.

Texas A&M 67, BYU 62. Anyone watching this game knows that it was close. #17 BYU had a much better SPI (111.7292 compared to 109.0498), but I forgot to apply the smell test here. BYU plays in the Mountain West Conference. Their biggest win was over Louisville, yes, but it was a team riddled with injuries. I should have known better. It's just hard to pick against your alma mater.

So through the first day, the SPI is 15-1. My bracket is 13-3, but that's just because I'm an idiot and ignored my own system. For the record, my wife, who more of less filled out her bracket on name recognition (I love you, honey), is standing at 14-2, only missing BYU-Texas A&M and USC-Kansas State. That's a little humbling.

No comments: